This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Wednesday, July 31, 2019

New Zealand Trip 7/30 and 7/31/19

Tuesday, July 30, 2019



Tuesday, 7/30, was a day to recover from our ski trip.  We slept in a bit and then headed towards the waterfront.  We went to a coffee house called Expresso Works for breakfast that was in a outdoor mall that was close to the waterfront.



We were there quite awhile, and then I rode my scooter while Rebekah walked along the waterfront.  Eventually, we ended up where we had walked on our first day together in Auckland and when we became hungry, we went again to the Buoy cafe where we had stopped a week ago on Tuesday.




I think we both craved the avocado toast that was served there.  It was wonderful to eat it again along with an amazing pot of ginger herb tea.

After we left the Buoy, we scootered and walked back to the hotel first by the water and then through the same trail (just going in the reverse direction) that we had journeyed on a week ago on our first Tuesday in Auckland.



At a little after 6 pm, Rebekah and I walked-scootered to Revive Vegan Cafe and had another truly amazing meal.  The restaurant closed at 7 pm, so we had to eat quickly and then we headed back to the hotel to go to bed.








Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Rebekah and I woke up early and met at the hotel lobby at 8 am so we could purchase ferry tickets.  After stopping to get Rebekah coffee at a place right by our hotel, we headed to the ferry building and got in line and bought tickets for the Tiritiri Matangi Island Wildlife Sanctuary tour.

We were told we needed to bring our own food and water to the island, so we looked quickly for a place to purchase food.  I was nervous about the time, but Rebekah assured me we'd make our ferry.

At 9 am, we boarded our ferry and began what turned out to be a wonderful adventure.  The ferry ride was an adventure in itself.  The water just gleamed!

As we approached the island, I felt like I was seeing what Moana lived on.  I thought also of the movie South Pacific and other movies that take place on islands.  It was so beautiful!


























There were numerous volunteers guiding those who had paid for the guided walk.  We were grouped with a couple from Quebec, Canada.  Our tour guide was named Pete.  He has lived in New Zealand for only six months and is from the U.K.

On the gilded walk, Pete told us all about Tititiri Matangi Island.  It was fun to stand on the beach, but it was also delightful to walk on the paths and look at the leaves, plants, and hear the birds sing.  I got a bit tired half-way through the walk and had to sit down for a rest, but once I recovered, we caught back up with Pete and the other two members of our group.

Getting to the top of the Island and seeing the lighthouse was a beautiful way to end the guided walk.  Rebekah and I finished up the food we brought in the visitors center and bought some souvenirs in the gift shop.  Then we headed on a delightful hike back to the ferry.

It was very cold, so we were delighted to be back in the ferry.  The ferry ride back to Auckland was very quiet.  Rebekah took a nap and I took a lot of photos.

When we returned to Auckland we headed straight back to our hotel.  What a wonderful and special day it was!

We didn't eat out, but Rebekah did have some ramen delivered through Uber Easts and I just enjoyed some leftover bread and snacks and tea that was in my hotel room.

My wonderful New Zealand vacation is coming to its conclusion.  Rebekah will work on Friday and I can't wait to see her perform in the Disney On Ice show!



No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers