This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Monday, March 23, 2020

Coronavirus - How It Has Changed the Schneider-Farris Family's Life As of 3-23-2020



A month ago I was in Sun Valley, Idaho having a great time working on my son's new studio condo.  I was so happy in Sun Valley too.   I got to ski numerous times.  I got to skate at the wonderful Sun Valley Ice Rink.  I made friends wherever I went.  It was a wonderful month!  Life was good.

I had no idea when I was there and even when I left in early March that the world as we know it would completely change during March of 2020.

One of the reasons I came back to Colorado, besides seeing my dog and my husband, was that March was the month my daughter Rebekah was scheduled to come home to Colorado with her Disney On Ice tour.  Our entire family was anticipating a nice time with Rebekah.  I also planned to get some skiing in with Rebekah and by myself.  I was anxious to continue practicing the Telemark skiing skills I learned in Sun Valley.  My other daughter Annabelle was going to surprise Rebekah at the end of March by coming home from New York City for Spring Break.  We talked about ski trips together.

All of these plans sort of exploded and fell apart in a matter of hours it seemed on Thursday, March 12, 2020, when both my son and daughter found out that their Disney On Ice tours were canceled.  Instead of Rebekah flying home and getting to do her show in front of family and getting to stay in her own room during the Colorado Springs performances, she had to figure out how to get home from Arizona.  Two days later, she was in a rented car filled with all of her belongings and was driving alone to Colorado.

Joel suddenly had to fly back from Winnipeg, Canada.  Every reason my daughter Annabelle had for staying in New York City also fell apart.  Annabelle rented a car and drove to Colorado from New York.

Well, my family is safely in Colorado now.  But...life is not the same for us or for anyone.

Restaurants and businesses are closed.  Libraries and parks are closed.  Coffee houses are closed.  Ski resorts and ice skating rinks are closed.  Gyms are closed.  The shelves in stores are empty.  Amazon is delaying deliveries.

Everyone is afraid to leave home since they are concerned that they may get the deadly Coronavirus.  In fact, in some states, people have been instructed to only leave their homes for necessary reasons.  I just read that Blaine County, where Sun Valley is, has become the epicenter of the virus in Idaho and that the hospital has closed there because the majority of the medical staff at the hospital has the virus!

On Monday, March 16, I decided to stop using Facebook for two months because two people attacked me about something that upset me that was related to skating.  Additionally, I realized that everyone's gloom and doom attitudes on Facebook really bothered me.  I also don't want to hear bad news every time I open up Facebook.   I believe I have the right on my own Facebook page to voice that I'm upset without getting attacked, so for now, I will stay away from social media.  Facebook is just not good for my soul at the moment.  I may have to stop listening to the news too.

I am writing this blog post from my family's Colorado home which is safely in the mountains and isolated.  I am hoping our family can stay safe and well.  I am hoping that everyone I know will stay well.




No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers