This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Hannah Johnson's Memories of Marty Martino


Our dear friend, 10 year old Hannah Johnson, gave a little speech at Marty Martino's memorial service on 3-7-09.
It is below:






'I would like to share a few words about Marty, whom I loved very dearly.

But how do I start?

How do I begin a farewell when I still can't believe Marty is gone?

How do I say goodbye to such a big influence in my young life?

Words can never express what I am feeling right now. Because, losing Marty is one of the most difficult things I have ever had to go through. I feel cheated he was taken from me so suddenly. Why did he have to go?

Putting those feelings aside for the moment today is my chance to say thank you to Marty for the way he brightened my life. Some of you may not have known Marty the way that I did, for he touched each of us in different ways.

For me, Marty was my coach, my friend and a father figure. I loved him with all my heart.

As a coach, Marty made me feel like I was the most beautiful little girl in the world. He always gave me a great big smile and a bear hug at the end of my lessons. Marty loved to give me "pet" names, the most endearing of which was "zippy". I will remember him laughing at the silly things I did during lessons, how he would tell me to do one jump and I would do something completely different without thinking. He would just look at me with a big grin and make a comment about being “blonde” or playfully hitting me on the head with his glove. He made learning to skate a fun experience.

Marty was especially fond of making me skating dresses. My favorite dress is the one he made for me as a Christmas present. Marty would never tell me what the dresses would look like or the color. He would just show up with a dress and watch with joy as I tried it on and it fit perfectly. During the last month, he was so excited to let me know that he was making me some new dresses, competition and practice. He talked about how great they would look on me and that he couldn’t wait to deliver them on Tuesday. Unfortunately, Marty left us on a Sunday and I never got to see his pride when I tried on the dresses. I am thankful to Maria for allowing us to have the dresses that Marty made for me. I will cherish them forever.

As a friend and a father figure, Marty was a man that was kind and generous. He loved me with such joy and pride that it lit up his face every time we were together. There was never a time that I could not talk to him or that he would not offer advice (asked for or not). He took an active interest in everything I did on the ice and off. He encouraged me to try new things and to excel at them all. I recently showed him my report card, which had all A+’s. He was so proud of the fact that I had achieved such good grades that he lifted me off the ground in a huge hug.

Marty also encouraged me to practice piano. He said that every little girl should know how to play a musical instrument. Practice is sometimes boring, but Marty was not fond of using “presents” as a way to get me to practice. He felt that bribery was not the best method to get me to understand the benefits of practice, practice, practice.

Marty came into my life and changed me forever. I will never have to wonder what Marty really thought of me. He showed me every day that he was proud of me and who I was growing up to be.

I am so thankful that I was at Marty’s bedside and was able to give him one last smile and a great big hug! I know that he will be watching me from heaven. Therefore, I will strive for the rest of my life to honor Marty's memory by being the best I can be at everything I try to do.

Marty will be greatly missed and always remembered by my mom and me. I want to remind Marty that God loves him and I love him!!!

GOODBYE MARTY I LOVE YOU I'LL MISS YOU'

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers