This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Monday, April 06, 2009

1983 - Teaching Skating Takes Over

I had been attending Long Beach State during the Atherton House years and I had worked on campus part time. I got my California Teaching Credential in 1982. I began looking for teaching jobs, but realized I was too chicken to teach in a real classroom!

I thought maybe teaching skating was a better idea.

I ended up being hired as a full-time salaried ice skating coach at Ice Capades Chalet in Brea. Brea is not exactly "round the corner" from Long Beach, but I wanted to teach skating so much, that I made the drive every day.

Dan and I only had one car, so after work, he'd take two buses out to Brea to be with me. He'd skate. I'd teach. Then on the way home we went out to dinner. We seemed to spend all the money I earned on eating out!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers