This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Vancouver Adventure Update 2-17-10


Being AT the Olympics in Vancouver has been a blast, but I am so tired! I seem to be constantly on the go.

I've attended three figure skating events (Pairs short program, Pairs long program, and Men's short program), one day of practices (pairs), gotten lost in Vancouver several times, met people from all over the world, gone for hours forgetting to eat or drink, and I've walked so much that my body and feet ache, and there are blisters on my feet! Also, I seem to be running on fumes, since I stay up late at night writing my About.com Figure Skating updates and then I get up early to write more.

I'm having a great time anyway!

I've met so many people (they all speak different languages) and I've had adventure after adventure.

Yesterday, I finally got to and from the figure skating venue, the Pacific Coliseum, without getting lost! On the way, I met a skating family from Boston. One of their children had been very, very sick and the family had been given a trip to the Olympics through the Make a Wish Foundation. The girls both had visited Colorado Springs and competed in the State Games. They were ice dancers. It was fun to hear about their skating. The Boston Globe was with them, following their adventure.

I've met people who have gone to more than one Olympics. I have met athletes and their parents. I've met Olympic volunteers. I've also seen familiar faces from home and seen friends from my skating past. I've met media people from all over the world. At the pairs long program, I had the best time talking to a television background story person from Moscow. At the men's short, I got to know a writer from Japan. I sat on the media bus with a reporter from Miami who has covered 9 Olympic games!

Where's Annabelle?

Annabelle has spent two nights with the Tjews, a skating family that lives in Vancouver. The Tjews spent the summer in Colorado Springs skating at the World Arena two years ago. Annabelle has gone skating and swimming with them and is having fun.

Today, I will take some time off from the Olympics, and spend the day with Annabelle and that family. I look forward to seeing her skate and perhaps skating myself. It will also be nice to travel somewhere in a car rather than by public transportation. People in Vancouver think nothing of walking and getting on the SkyTrain or buses, but I am not used to it. In Colorado Springs, I just get in my car and drive a few minutes to the World Arena. This takes much longer!

Larisa and her son Alex are still in Vancouver. They will get to stay until Saturday. They've had trouble getting Olympic tickets, but they did get to see the Men's short program and pairs practice ice. They've enjoyed going to downtown Vancouver and also hanging out where all the athletes and famous people hang out.

My Media Accreditation Makes Things Kind of Cool!


My media credential gives me access to every Olympic event and practice. It is overwhelming and exciting at the same time. It's so busy in the arena. The rink building, in my opinion, is very small and not big enough to host Olympic figure skating. When Worlds was in Los Angeles, the Staples Center was huge and could hold all the people in it that wanted to attend. This time, people can't get in. The lines for the restrooms and food are very, very long. I am always glad when I can escape to the quiet of the Press Media Centre in both the rink and downtown.

As I reflect and look back, I can't believe I've only been here four days! I wonder what the next four days will bring?

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers