This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Monday, February 06, 2012

We Say Good-Bye To Our Dear Dog Porcher 2-2-2012




On Tuesday night, January 31, 2012, I returned from a trip to the 2012 National Figure Skating Championships which took place in San Jose, California.  I wondered why our dear little dog, Porcher, didn't come running to greet me.  She just didn't look "right."  

The next day, the kids and I took Porcher to the vet.  We were told Porcher was very, very sick.  In fact, she was dying of something called Pyometra,  Emergency surgery was required to save her life, but due to her age, we were told, there was a likelihood she would not survive the surgery.  We were told she would only live for a day or two longer.  We were heartbroken.

I canceled all commitments and we stayed by Porcher's side until she died in front of me, Rebekah, and Joel at 10:42 AM on Thursday, February 2.  We actually saw Porcher take her last breath and cried and said good-bye.

Dan came home from work and picked Annabelle up from Mountain Vista Homeschool Academy.  We prepared a casket and buried Porcher in our backyard.  We gave her a Jewish funeral.  We sang the Shema and then each of us said something to Porcher about how much we loved her and how much we missed her.  

Losing Porcher was so, so hard on us.  She'd been part of our family for 10 years.  She was our baby.  She was our friend.  She smiled at us every time we came home.  She couldn't wait for us to return.  She loved us unconditionally.  Losing her was hard on all of us.  

Porcher came to us when someone from Dan's office found her in southern Colorado.  She searched and searched for the owner.  When it was certain that no owner could be found, she brought the dog to Dan's office and asked if anyone wanted to adopt her.  Dan immediately knew that Porcher belonged to us!  

I will never forget the day Porcher came home.  I had a teachers meeting with Branson School Online to attend.  Dan took the morning off of work and took the kids to Pueblo to pick up Porcher.  By the time I got home, Porcher was sitting on our couch with the kids.  She immediately loved me and loved me every since.

She looked just like my beloved Sunny, a dog that had been my companion in college.  Sunny went everywhere with me, even to hotels and skating competitions.  Porcher and Sunny had so much in common since both dogs were so loving a sweet. 

Below is a photo of me and Sunny in 1975.


We got her on October 10, 2002 and she died on February 2, 2012. We were told she was born in 1998 when we got her. We will miss Porcher, so, so much...






















































No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers