This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Labor Day Weekend 2006

A year ago our family's life was routine. I remember watching the news about Hurricane Katrina and feeling so sorry to hear that people I didn't know were going through something devastating. I remember taking our children swimming on Labor Day and having a great time. I was thinking about ordinary things like what kind of books we'd use for homeschooling, about buying a Brownie and Girl Scout uniform, and where we'd practice our figure skating.

I had no idea that two weeks later, that my life and the lives of my children would be forever changed. I had no idea that my husband would almost die.

On this holiday weekend, almost a year later, Dan and I did routine things once again. We went shopping with the kids and went out to lunch. As I remember thinking and wondering if he'd ever walk again or even live again, it feels like in September of 2005 that I visited a different world.

The real world seems to be coming back to my family. We cherish each other and live each day knowing that we must be thankful for the miracle of Dan's life and that we can experience the ordinary.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers