This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Monday, March 16, 2009

Facebook Says This Is an Alleged Copyright Infringement - Now I'm Really MAD

Those who know Jo Ann Schneider Farris should know that getting me MAD is NOT a good idea. Facebook has disabled my rights to upload videos because of this video below.

It was taken with an old home video camera over 25 years ago. This is my video. I own the rights to it. How stupid is Facebook?



By the way, the coaches in skating in this include Jennifer Pannazzo, Clarissa Perella, Billie Jo Passerella, Scootie Paulsen, and Jo Ann Schneider. We were forced to skate this since we were on salary with Ice Capades Chalet at the time, but I admit it brings back fond memories and was really fun!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Similar thing happened to me. I used an old TV show theme (no words just music, which I purchased) as a background soundtrack to a single 3 min compilation of home video's from my high school days from 15 years ago and FB pulled my video . . . much to the disappointment of my class.

I also received their "thoughtful" yet threatening cease and desist post on my FB homepage in regards to my account status etc. I know there are 4 primary considerations of fair use (i.e. using it for profit - no, affecting the profitability of the material - doubtful, significance of material to the work - it's a low volume background track and distribution- only on a private/closed group.) and I doubt I infringed on their copyright in anyway considering that I paid for the song . . . in-fact some viewers purchased the old DVD sets because they were nostalgic - where the hell is my commission?

The funny thing is that I have come across other home video's using background tracks that have been up for longer periods on FB but have not been flagged. I am wondering if it was because so many people were tagged to my video? I doubt FB has people assigned to scour every single video posted . . . so there has to be a trigger to bring attention to one video and not another.

My guess is it is the tagging and views generated - mine was particularly popular within my closed group and got quite a few views in the 48hr period it was posted and had quite a few comments -- any thoughts?

Oh yeah . . . I'm Really MAD TOO!

Marianne said...

Clarissa Perrella is my cousin. I am Marianne Giachino. I do not know where she is but I sure do miss her. Please say Hello and I live in Santa Rosa, CA.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers