This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Monday, March 02, 2009

Marty Martino Passed Away





Yesterday, at around 2:30 PM, I got a phone call. A friend and skating coach, Marty Martino, had a massive heart attack.

I was told he would not make it through the night.

In the late evening, my entire family went to the hospital to say our good-byes to Marty.

Two hours after we left, at around 10:30 PM, Marty did die. He was only 71 years old.

Marty will be greatly missed by figure skaters in Colorado Springs.

Marty taught skating until the day before he died.

The attached photos show Marty teaching his last "little competitor" Hannah Johnson. Marty taught Hannah's mother, Theresa Johnson, when she was a little girl at the old Broadmoor World Arena.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will miss Marti too. He taught me so much more than skating. I learned how to be patient with myself and that little steps count. I am so glad that he was part of my life.

Barbara Fetherolf said...

I had Marty as my first coach at Roll'N'Ice in Copaigue Long Island. Long after I had him as my coach he showed up in Lake Placid and cheered me on and helped me win my first competition. He was a wonderful man, and I only have very fond memories of him. I'm sure he will be missed by anyone that has ever met him. RIP Marty.

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers