This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Our Round Challah Was a Success!


In Colorado Springs, getting challah in time for Shabbat is difficult. Every time I call Panera Bread to reserve one, I'm told they are already sold out. Albertsons has one or two loaves out once in awhile, so sometimes we buy our challah there.

Around Rosh Hashanah, I want a round challah. When I ask those stores if they make such a thing, the answer is always "No."

This year, the kids and I decided to make our own round challah in time for Rosh Hashanah. I've decided to share our recipe since it is so easy and fun to make!

This recipe comes from my study partner from Partners in Torah, Dena Leff. I began studying with Partners in Torah in 2003 since I wanted to teach my kids to read Hebrew. I did learn to read Hebrew. Dena and I kept studying. Dena gave me this recipe 4 years ago shortly after we spent some time discussing Shabbos.

Dena's Challah

Put the following ingredients in your bread maker:

1 cup water - fairly warm
2 egg whiltes (set yolks aside)
1/4 cup oil
4 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons yeast

Press start (set breadmaker on dough, mixing, or pasta setting).

After that mixing cycles finishes, remove the dough from the breadmaker and shape the dough into a braid. (Dena suggested looking in the Chabad Cookbook for braiding tips.)

Cover with dishtowel.

Turn on the oven for 10 seconds at 500 degrees to warm the oven up. Then quickly turn the oven off.

Put the braided dough in the oven and allow the dough to rise for about 2 hours until double in size.

Then add a bit of water to the egg yolks that were set aside and mix.

Paint the challah gently with the egg yolk (use a pastry brush).

Bake at 350 degrees for 1/2 hour.


Yum!


Tip from Annabelle: Add some yellow food coloring !

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers