This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Thursday, August 15, 2019

New Zealand Trip - Monday, August 5, 2019






I woke up at around 7 am and showered and then completed my packing.  I relaxed a bit after I was done and and at 9:30 am, I headed down to the lobby to check out. As I was exiting my room, a hotel employee offered to help me with my luggage.  Help like that was common in New Zealand.  Also, tipping doesn't exist, so that was an added treat!

Once I checked out, the same employee helped me take my luggage to the street and even offered to call me a taxi, but I told him I was calling an Uber.

My Uber driver arrived in about five minutes.  This driver was from Sri Lanka and I had another delightful Uber ride and conversation as we headed to the Auckland Airport International terminal.

And...once I was inside the airport, it was easy to check in and go through security.  Once I got through to the international terminal, there was no gate yet assigned to my flight which was going to Melbourne, so I took the time for some coffee and a muffin and waited.

Finally, a gate was assigned and it was quite a long walk to the gate, but once there I boarded the plane and had a nice flight to Melbourne that took off at 1:25 pm and landed in Melbourne around 4 pm.  (It was two hours behind in Melbourne.)  Just before I boarded the plane, I bought a New Zealand sweat shirt as a quick impulse buy.

I sat next to a couple who lived on the South Island of New Zealand who were going to Perth to see their daughter who was about to have a baby.  They owned a travel company called Westray Adventures in Te Anau, New Zealand.  The man's name was Andy.  I learned that the South Island is nicer than the north island and realize I must visit that part of New Zealand if I come again.

When I got off the plane, I took my time in the restroom, so by the time I went through the border security, I was in the only person there.  I had to dump my water, but everything else I brought went through fine.

The layover in Melbourne was long.  My plane to LAX was not scheduled to leave until 9 pm, so after enjoying a croissant and a Chai tea, I wandered around the huge mall that was in the international airport.  The stuff there was really expensive, but so fun to look at.  I saw so many different types of back packs, wool items. souvenirs, and even Australian Ugg brand boots.

Finally, just as I began to settle into a waiting area, about an hour before the plane was scheduled to leave, and announcement was made that there was further security for those going to the USA and for passengers to head to the boarding area Gate 10.

There my passport was checked again and then we waited.

During the wait I met an 18 year old boy from Irvine who'd gone to Sydney on a musical choir adventure.   He was so "jazzed" after his trip since it had been an honor to be selected.

I also met a lady who lived in Baltimore for 40 years, but had been visiting family in Australia.

Finally I was on the plane and found my seat.  I ended up sitting next to a young couple from Melbourne who were going on a three week holiday to the USA.  They were going to Los Angeles, Las Vegas, New York, San Francisco, and then back to Lo Angeles.  The woman was a hairdresser in Melbourne (her named was Jasmine) and her husband is a student.  Wow it was fun to  hear about the adventure they had in store!

The flight was 14 hours and so I watched movies, slept, and watched more movies, and slept.  The food served was good.

I was so glad to land in Los Angeles at around 6:20 pm, but it took what seemed like forever to leave the plane, go on a transport bus to the terminal, go through Passport Security, get my luggage, go through customs, return the Sim card I bought at LAX that did not work properly in New Zealand, and find my brother-in-law Mike.

Mike found me at 9 pm and had been wandering the international terminal since 7:30 pm trying to find me.  Once we connected we headed to the parking lot and Mike got me back to our Long Beach condo at 10 pm.

Wow!  What an adventure!

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers