This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Sunday, August 11, 2019

New Zealand Trip Thursday, 8/1 and Friday, 8/2 and Saturday, 8/3, 2019

Thursday, August 1, 2019



We slept in and had a relaxing breakfast at The Coffee Club and then we began a scooter-walk towards the Auckland Museum.  Before we headed to the museum we went back to the dock to clean our shoes where these brushes were set up for people to clean their shoes before going to the islands.  Our shoes had been muddy, so I wanted to get them clean.  It began to rain, so we headed back to the  hotel to fetch my umbrella.   It was a brisk cold morning.

The scooter-walk was delightful because the GPS took us through another reserve called Auckland Domain.  It looked like we were back on the island!

When we finally got to the museum, what we saw was so beautiful.  We couldn't wait to enter.

We decided to pay for not just the museum entry, but to see the Maori dancers.  So...after warming up and having some tea, we saw the most amazing show at 1:30 pm.  They put on the most amazing show.  They did native Maori dances, games, songs and chants.  It was the most incredible entertainment.

After the show, we went to all the museum exhibits and we learned so much about New Zealand.  We stayed until the place closed.  The natural history area was so realistic.  Seeing the story of the Maori totally fascinating.  Also, learning about New Zealand's participation in both WWI and WW2 taught us a lot.  The exhibition on volcanoes was especially educational.  I am still fascinated that Rebekah and I skied on an active volcano!

We stayed until closing and then decided to scooter back to the downtown Auckland area where our hotel was.  I put in my GPS a place called Poke Bar since I read that the Poke bowls there were the best in New Zealand.

Rebekah and I  had an amazing Poke meal and then went back to the hotel.  It had been a cold and exhausting day.  We reflected on how nice a vacation we'd had together.



































































































Friday, August 2, 2019











Rebekah had to be a work in the afternoon, but we still had the morning free, so we took an Uber to a Buddhist Monastery where we met Sen who took us on a tour of the temple.  We got to make wishes, learn about the life of Buddha, and eat in the vegetarian tea house.  Rebekah had to get her food as "take away" since she needed to get an Uber and get to work, but I got to have a relaxing and amazing vegetarian lunch with Sen.

After lunch, Sen drove me about half-way back to the downtown area.  He had to get new tires for his car, so from the auto repair shop, I set up an Uber ride to pick me up and take me back to the hotel.

When I returned to the hotel, I quickly put my scooter away and then got an Uber to take me to the Spark Arena where Rebekah and the Disney On Ice cast were rehearsing.  I arrived at 2:00 pm, just in time to see some wonderful practices.  It was fun for me to talk to some of the cast and crew members and reunite with some of the cast and crew that Rebekah and I had climbed Mt. Fuji with just a year ago.

Once the rehearsals ended, I picked up my ticket and just waited around for the show to begin.  I had only seen Rebekah in the show once before in Japan, so it was nice to see the show in English this time around.




When the show ended, Rebekah and I met in the lobby and walked back to the hotel together.



Saturday, August 3, 2019

I woke early so I could do my laundry in the hotel.  Once that was done, I got on my scooter and headed towards the venue hoping to connect with Rebekah, but that didn't happen since she did not have a long enough break to spend time with me.  I did have a nice lemon muffin and a "Long Black" which is sort of like Americano coffee in the USA at a coffee house near the venue called Esquires Coffee.  Just as I thought maybe it was time to get up and use the restroom, the morning show must have ended and the coffee house filled up with families.








I then went over to the venue to pick up my tickets for Saturday's and Sunday's shows.  Then I scootered back to the hotel and left my scooter there and then walked back to the Spark Arena and arrived just in time to see the show.

The show was a bit better than Friday night, but I enjoyed it more since I knew which scenes Rebekah appeared in.

After the show I connected with Rebekah for about 15 minutes and then I walked back to the hotel and got my scooter and first went to the New World Metro Market and then I stopped at Lord of the Fries and bought a huge take away vegan burger and then got a rice ball and salad from St. Pierre's Sushi and returned to the hotel and had a peaceful dinner.

I missed Rebekah and wished that I could have spent more time with her today between shows.  As I finish this blog post, I can't help but reflect on how wonderful my trip to New Zealand has been.  I definitely want to come back!





No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers