This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Saturday, June 20, 2015

A Parent's Review of Working - A Musical Put On By the Colorado Springs Conservatory June 18 through June 20, 2015






Each year, in June, the Colorado Springs Conservatory has put on a wonderful musical production.  I have said in the past that their musicals were almost as good as Broadway shows, and I've looked so forward to attending the Conservatory's productions.   

Last year, my son, Joel, was in the ensemble in the Conservatory's musical Oklahoma, and in 2012, all three of my kids were in the ensemble for the Conservatory's production of Fiddler on the Roof.  

My daughter, Rebekah, has been part of the senior company at the Conservatory this past school year. The senior company's students are expected to take part in the annual June production.  Rebekah had a wonderful role in Pirates of Penzance earlier in the school year, and she's also been in recitals and even performed for the Colorado Springs mayor in her year with the Conservatory.  I've been so proud of my daughter.   

After Rebekah auditioned for the Conservatory's summer production, I was very excited to hear that Rebekah would be in a musical play which would show off her year in the Conservatory's senior company.  I looked so forward to seeing my daughter perform.

What I did not know was that Working: A Musical is for mature audiences, and I'm not sure if I had known in advance that so much foul language would be used, would I have approved of her participation in this particular musical.  I do not believe approving the use of foul language, especially for young people, should be encouraged at all.

I guess I am not sure I approve of the Conservatory's choice or wisdom in putting on such a musical that included explicit content.

I am so proud of Rebekah (she did an amazing performance today), but must state that I am also disappointed and embarrassed that my daughter was given a role of a prostitute in a musical that was put on by a school of performing arts that advertises that its programs are for teens and children. 

(It should be noted that I was not prepared or told in advance that Rebekah would be performing that role.   I admit that it was uncomfortable for me and my family, and the friends we invited to see the production, to see Rebekah in that particular scene.  We were caught off-guard.)  

What Rebekah was wearing, her costume for that "call-girl" scene, was not "appropriate" and really upset me.  Why would the Conservatory encourage or endorse such a costume for a young woman of Rebekah's age?  This was not a paid job.  I really am upset that my child was asked to dress like a prostitute! 

It is my opinion that the prostitute-call girl role should have been taken out of this local production, and also the foul language throughout this production of the Working musical play should have been also removed from the script.        

On a positive note, what the kids in the Working production did today was excellent. The cast sang, danced, and acted.  They were all amazing and so very professional! 

Rebekah seemed to sing or act or dance and be in almost every scene, and also sang in a duet about the life of a caregiver to a child in addition to the call girl role that was in a scene earlier in the play.  When the musical ended and as the kids performed in the final number, I was in tears since the facts that were shared about life and working were and are so true.    

Also, the musical ended with a great message.  That message is that every job is important and each person's contribution to this world makes a difference.


My Three Kids Annabelle, Rebekah, and Joel Smile Together After Rebekah Performs In Working: A Musical 6-20-15


No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers