This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Shabbat At Home! - A Wonderful Experience, July 1, 2016

Last night, on Friday, July 1, 2016, my father and I went to a Shabbat dinner that was set up through the "Shabbat at Home" program through Temple Israel in Long Beach, California.  It was such an AWSOME experience, that I have decided to write about our wonderful evening!


Our host, Paul L., planned every detail of the evening.  He'd recently gone to Italy, so he decided to have a menu that featured Italian Jewish cuisine.  My dad and I were instructed to bring ground decaf coffee, cream, and Peligrino's sparking mineral water.  Paul made most of the food including homemade Challah (he's a bread baker and an amazing cook).

When we arrived a little after 6 pm, Paul had appetizers and drinks ready for us.  We all talked a bit over those appetizers and iced tea, and toured Paul's beautiful garden.  We also spent time enjoying Paul's photography.  He also plays the drums and we enjoyed looking at his drum set, which included djembe drums!


Around 7 pm, we gathered around Paul's beautifully set Shabbat table (that we later learned was a family heirloon that was made for five people, but could expand to accomodate many more people).

We used Temple Israel's "Shabbat At Home" program and had our own short Shabbat service right at the table.  We read together and separately from that program, but Paul also came up with some creative ways to enjoy our "little Shabbat service" before our meal.


After the Shabbat candles were lit, we said the tradional prayer.   I learned last night that at least two candles must be kindled.


Instead of blessing the children (since no children were at our dinner) and singing traditional Shabbat songs, Paul had everyone share what Shabbat meant to them or share a bit about their personal Shabbat traditions.  I shared that it is "almost mind boggling" to think the the Shabbat candles were being lighted in Jewish homes all over the world!

Others shared their Shabbat memories or traditions.  Sharon talked about her days as a young girl going to Brandeis Jewish camp in the Santa Susanna mountains, Gail talked about the way she celebrated and continues to celebrate Shabbat with her children and grandchildren, Moshe talked about how he slows down and feels a sense of peace, and my dad talked about it was and is a beautiful tradition.  (I forgot what Paul and Tila shared.)

After saying the Kiddish prayer, Gail sang and led us in additional Shabbat Hebrew prayers.  We then said the motzi and broke Challah and ate it!  (We learned from Sharon a bit of trivia:   One Challah stays covered so the other one does not get jealous!)  Paul's homemade Challah was fantastic and I think we must have enjoyed breaking pieces off the loaf and eating it for a good 10 minutes!

Finally, dinner was served....

We began with Moshe's homemade vegan pea soup that included a lot of goodies like couscous and quinoa and of course peas!  Moshe said he throws a bunch of stuff in a crock pot and his wonderful soup comes out slightly different each time.


After the soup, we enjoyed several of the dishes Paul made.  There was so many wonderful things to eat which included:
  • Roast Chicken-Pollo Arrosto Per Shabbat 
  • Smoked Brisket
  • Jewish Caponata-Caponata Ebraica 
  • Artichokes Jewish Style-Carciofi alla Giudia 
  • Tricolor Salad-Insalata Tricolore
There was also an eggplant side dish that I loved that included zuchini and olives in a delicious red sauce.  

We enjoyed kosher Italian red and white wine and kosher grape juice and Pelligrino sparking water.

During dinner we discussed ideas on how to make Temple Israel even better for its members and also each person shared what they did for a living or once did for a living before retiring.

Moshe and Tila are both retired nurses.  Moshe continues to work as a healer and life coach.
Paul recently retired from media production. My dad is a recently retired medical school professor (40 years at the Chicago Medical School and before that head of the laboratory at City of Hope), and Gail worked at a place in the Long Beach harbor I believe doing something related to chasses and had a very responsible job with the company, and Sharon is a therapist who loves her work.

I'm an "almost retired" skating coach and author who unschooled-homeschooled my children who continues to be devoted to helping my father and the rest of my family in any way I can.



Over dessert that included fresh fruit (made by Tila), kugel (Sharon), kosher ice cream (Gail), fresh berries (Gail), and decaf Italian coffee, we continued sharing and talking.

Everyone had so much to share about their personal lives.   Paul shared a bit about his wife's illness and passing which only happened two years ago.  I talked about my life in Colorado and a bit about my husband's miraculous recovery from the accident he had 11 years ago.  I shared about Jewish life in Colorado, Rosh Hashanah in the mountains, my continuing love of Jewish learning, my studies with Partners in Torah, my son's trip with Birthright Israel to the Wailing Wall and his "spur of the moment Bar Mitzvah with Partners in Torsh, my girls love of Ramah Outdoor Adventure camp, and about my dad's family being one of the founding families of Temple Israel in Long Beach.

Everyone seems to enjoy all the learning opportunities and activities available through Temple Israel. We all came to the conclusion that a grief or loss support group might be helpful or perhaps some Chavurah groups.



Then we shared about where we had traveled.  Paul has been to so many places including Italy of course, and it seemed as if Tila had been everywhere.  I think she said she has been to Israel several times and that Aftica was her most memorable experience,  Gail has family in Denmark.  My dad and mom went to France for a medical school meeting.  Sharon loves New York and shared that she and her life partner had planned to move there, but unfortunately, her partner got very sick and passed away.  I forgot where Moshe had traveled to.  I probably have done the least amount of traveling of the group, even though I've been to San Francisco, Chicago, and New York and to Vancouver when About.com sent me there for the 2010 Winter Olympics.

I also couldn't resist telling everyone all the places and distances I''ve covered on kick scooters.  I also shared how I ski and scooter with my dog!  Paul is an avid bike rider and talked about his recent long distance bike ride in Italy and in other places.  Moshe also likes to bike all over Long Beach.




At around 10 pm, we began to help Paul clean up, said our good-byes and Shabbat Shaloms and headed home.

I am so, so grateful to Temple Israel for setting up such a wonderful evening and to Paul for opening up his home and being so gracious and for being such an amazing cook and host and for the new friends I made!

Thank you Paul and thank you Temple Israel.  Shabbat Shalom!

Further Reading:

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers