This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Wednesday, November 18, 2015

My Thoughts and Wishes for Colorado Springs



I lived in Colorado Springs in the 1970s and then I returned in 1991 and never left.

I've made an observation that our city is run like a small town (but we are a fairly large city now) and there are very powerful people here that run the city and it is hard to make changes when something is wrong or needs to be changed.

About 20 years ago, I went before the Colorado Springs City Council and asked that a beautiful chalet type ice rink stay open in the downtown area. I was on the news and wrote articles.

There were other skating related things that happened after that in Colorado Springs.  I went on to "fight city hall" and fought for the rights of skaters and skating coaches in my city. I was on the TV news and a group of us were on a 3 hour radio talk show.

Nothing changed at the time, but I think about 10 years later, my efforts paid off. We have a wonderful skating community in Colorado Springs now that is open to everyone.

It is now my hope that something eventually will change in the performing arts community in our beautiful city too.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers