This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Friday, September 16, 2005

The ICU waiting room blur

I don't remember how we got to the ICU. The children and I followed the policemen and somehow ended up in an ICU waiting room.

I noticed there was a small area for children to play in at that ICU waiting room and I sat down nearby in an absolute daze. The children became busy. My son Joel was really upset and kept going to the restroom.

We moved to a different ICU waiting room across the hall since that room had no others in it while the policemen went to check on Dan's status.

My brother Billy arrived and introduced himself to the police.

I remember trying to make some phone calls from that waiting room. I called Richard and Debbie Griffin because Rich worked at the ice rink as assistant manager and I wanted to make sure that the message that I wouldn't be in on Saturday morning was received.

Dan's sister, Penny called and so did Dan's brother, Pat. I remember Penny saying how sorry she was.

I remember telling both Pat and Penny what the policemen had told me and Pat saying that what was described did not sound like Dan at all. We were all so puzzled.

I remember sitting down in a chair and telling the children what had happened. (I've been told by some people that I should have not said anything to the children yet, but no one was there to advise me and I just did not have the strength or brainpower to think about what the children should or should not hear.)

The police returned and found us in the other waiting room. They gave me a brown paper bag that contained Dan's personal belongings. I was told he'd never be able to wear the clothes inside again and that the socks at the bottom were quite bloody. Inside was also his cell phone, wallet, keys, money, and credit cards.

Before doing that, the police had taken me to a room where I saw Dan briefly. He was completely wrapped and I could barely see his face. He spoke to me. I heard him say, "I love you Bunny," "Not now talk," "I'm sorry." I actually don't remember what he said exactly, but he did speak to me.

I remember touching him and the person who did xrays asking me if I'd like to stay next to him for the xrays or if I wished to move. I remember the policman saying I was just there for a moment and had to return to my children in the waiting room.

Shortly after returning to the waiting room, a Dr. Butler talked to both my brother and me in the hallway. I was told the extent of Dan's injuries: a shattered pelvis and serious ankle injuries were described. I don't remember quite listening, but my brother Billy, did grasp the information.

I asked Dr. Butler if he would live and the doctor could not tell me for sure. I asked if the children should be taken home and if their father would be alive the next morning if we did so. The doctor told me he'd probably live through the night. I was advised not to allow the children to see Dan yet since it might devastate them.

So, once I returned to the waiting room, the police finished by telling me that they would close what had happened as an accident. They gave me a card and told me to call them if I learned any more information on what may have happened during Dan's work day.

Then Billy and I decided to leave and get the children home.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers