This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Sunday, September 25, 2005

Should the children see Dan "this way?"

I had been advised to wait until Dan was off the ventilator before the children saw Dan.

A call from John Helm, on Saturday night, September 24, changed my thinking on that.

I learned that night that Dan might not get better and was advised to get my children out again and into life again.

So on Sunday, September 25, I woke up, dressed the children and told Dan's brother Mike that if no one talked me out of it, that the children would go to see their father in the hospital today.

We ate breakfast at Old World Bagel and bought some things at Target that shifted my time plan, but we did arrive at the hospital in mid-afternoon and the children did see Daddy! We had begun to park our car next to the park next to the hospital and as we entered from the park entrance, I felt an excitement and peace and also apprehension.

It was like a movie! There was this feeling of relief and joy as the children got to see him and touch him. Dan's nurse, Colene, answered any questions the children had. Joel talked and talked and told Daddy everything on his mind. Rebekah cried at first, but then began ot sing to Dan. Annabelle was scared at first, but soon was touching Dan and talking to him and pleaded not to leave.

After leaving the hospital, we went to SAMS and I bought the children TLC gifts -- dolls, strollers, games. I just had to celebrate some way.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers