This is the Schneider-Farris Family's Blog. Keep up with what we are doing by logging into this site regularly! (The reason this site is called "Tragedy and Triumph" is that when I first founded this site, my husband, Dan, had been in a horrible accident, and he recovered. His recovery was a miracle! Go back to the 2005 archives to read our story.)

Friday, October 14, 2005

Ate dinner with Dan in the hospital cafeteria

It turned out the car lights did not have a problem. I had been so upset about what happened in Rehab that it seemed I just didn't understand how to turn the car's parking lights off and when the parking lights were on, the other lights in the car didn't work!

However, it took me a long time to get over being so upset by a Rehab nurse named Quentin. What really upset me was that Quentin had told me to be quiet so he could give me his side of how things were done in a hospital. He made me feel stupid and unimportant and didn't seem to have any idea of what my family had been through.

I called Dan on Friday morning and told him I would not visit him again in that Rehab unit. I was really, really upset. The conversation with Quentin had made me decide that I would never enter the Rehab unit again.

Dan was in no shape to deal with this issue, but did talk to someone in Rehab and they called me and worked out that the children and I could have the hour of 4--5 PM daily to visit with Dan. They also began to realize after talking with Dan that he was not mentally able to handle important issues and promised to have someone contact me and inform me about what was going on with Dan. I calmed down just a bit.

So, later that day, we went to the hospital and Mike brought Dan down to the cafeteria in his wheelchair and we had dinner in a quiet spot of the cafeteria as a family.

It was the first time there were no interuptions and Dan talked to me and the kids and he even ate fruit with us!

It was really great and now that I don't have to go in the Rehab unit again, I feel a peace.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
Jo Ann Schneider Farris has participated in skating for most of her life as a competitor, coach, and author.

Followers